First of all , Let me tell you a very important thing , which I found lot of people don’t know about major Ecommerce websites – like amazon , ebay, flipkart, snapdeal,etc .The products listed on these websites are not sold by the website owners .These websites are actually an online marketplace , where registered merchants’ & sellers sell their products online , These website owners just take a little commission on each sale made by the merchants. Hence here I am going to tell you some tips & procedure to start your own ecommerce website or a marketplace.
Step 1 – Concept & Planning : Your Success completely depends upon the concept & planning of your ecommerce website . Hence I would suggest you to think on several aspects on following points –
- Uniqueness – To be very frank , I would tell you that if you are dreaming to become another amazon , ebay ,flipkart etc . It is extremely impossible to compete with them until & unless you have billions of money to spent on your project & then after your luck matters as well . Hence try to make your website concept new & unique which could attract customers to purchase from your website.
- Product you will sell on your website – Today there is a huge competition in this field , Hence in such a condition it is extremely difficult to sell your products at higher margin (price) to make more profit . Because if your product lies in such a category , which has a fixed MRP , like – pen drive , mobile phones , or any branded company products . the profit margin is very less & if you increase the price , people will purchase from another websites.
Hence , I would suggest to sell those products in which you can earn more profit like – handicrafts , cloths , antiques etc , in this case you would be able to make more profit , which could be used in your website marketing & promotions.
- Market Research –As we all know that the world is changing very rapidly with technology , hence I would also suggest you to do some research of current & future of your product demand status in the market . Because demands of all products either decreases or increases depending upon time & technology growth . Research about your target locations & people of interest
Step 2 – Procedure of creating / starting Ecommerce website for online selling
1.Purchase a suitable Domain Name for your website – First of all select a related domain name in .com extension from any domain registrar website . This extension is globally used in every country , hence in future if you wish to expand your business to other countries , it could be helpful.
2.Purchase Hosting Space – Depending upon your business model you have to decide that how much hosting space you should purchase . If you are going to set up a small ecommerce website which contains maximum 1000 products , then 10 GB of space is sufficient . But if you are willing to create a huge marketplace like amazon & ebay then you need to purchase a Complete Dedicated Server .
Note – While purchasing Hosting space always check the following points in mind .
- Bandwidth – It is the amount of data transfer permitted from the hosting server , when people will browse your website from different location of the world. Hence always buy hosting plans which offers you unlimited bandwidth.
- Type of hosting server ( Linux or windows ) – Before purchasing the hosting space , please decide that which Ecommerce software you are going to use like – magento , oscommerce , perestashop , opencart etc . Enquire that these software’s supports either windows hosting or linux hosting
- Number of My SQl Databases – Ask for how many Free Mysql Database is provided by your hosting provider with your hosting plans , because your hosting plan must contains 1 Mysql database in order to install your ecommerce software . note all ecommerce website needs at least 1 mysql database.