Yes , this had been made possible by the technology called Desktop Virtualization & device called THIN CLIENT, This technology facilitates us to use multiple desktops from 1 single CPU . Where each user can enjoy their own individual computer applications, just like a personal computer.
Suppose if you have 1 CPU with core i3 ( 1st gen) processor , 4 GB Ram , 500 GB Hard drive , 1GB Graphics Card , then you can easily run minimum 10 desktops .By purchasing these extra peripherals which is required to run 10 desktop is – 10 keyboards , 10 mouse , 10 monitors and 10 thin client .
How many maximum desktops can we run from 1 CPU using thin clients ?
It totally depends upon the power of your CPU , starting from minimum 5 desktops to 100 desktop you can use depending upon the configuration of your CPU.
What are the advantages & disadvantages of Thin Clients / ncomputing ?
Advantages of using thin clients are following :
- Huge money saving -Obviously, if you are not going to purchase the CPU for each desktops , it will reduce the installation cost up to 70% . Because for each desktops you only need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and a thin client.
- Less maintenance is required – Since there is only one CPU which manages all workstations , Hence we need to install or troubleshoot operating system or application software in only one CPU , similarly there is less hardware parts hence it required less maintenance .
- More Power Saving : Desktop virtualization technique reduce your electricity bills , because it require only 1 single CPU.
- It Is best for school ,colleges, labs, small offices , cyber cafes etc
Disadvantages of using thin clients are following :
- Little bit slow operating speed – The operating speed & response time of each workstation is a bit slower .
- Low Graphics quality – Since graphics of 1 single graphics card or inbuilt graphics is divided between several work stations , hence the graphics quality is little bit poor.
- High definition movies , graphics rich games , and complex software applications like video editors and many more can not work properly with thin clients .
- Failure of CPU , turn off all work stations – Suppose if the cpu , restarts , hang or face any problem then all workstations will get effected with the problem.
Type of thin clients / ncomputing devices . [Read more…] about What is thin client or ncomputing . What are its advantages and disadvantages .