When I first heard that youtube had launched a service called youtube offline for its android and iphone users which enables users to watch youtube videos without internet or with slow speed internet , I got shocked surprised and very much exited to know this technology , how is it possible to watch youtube without internet . But when I tried it , let me explain in detail.
Youtube had provided this offline feature only for mobile phone or tablet users .This offline feature is available in its official app for android & iphone ,which can be downloaded and installed from google play store or apple store.
- If you are already installed or using the older version this app , please upgrade it to the latest version in order to enable youtube offline feature in your app.
- Open the application , make sure that your mobile should be connected to internet either by wifi , or by 3G , 4G. Now search for a video , and click on the video thumbnail to play it . On the watch page below the video you will find an button , which tells you to click here to add video to offline mode.
- Once you click on the button , it will prompt you to select the resolution of the video , once you select the resolution , the app will show the size of video for that resolution and start downloading that video on to your device. Once the download is complete , it will be added to offline video list.
- However All the videos are not available to watch in offline mode by youtube and there is also limitation that , you can only watch that offline videos within 48 hours after adding it to offline list. This downloaded video can only be played in the official app of youtube , it cannot play in other video players.
- Now in order to watch the offline videos open the official app of youtube , go to section – offline videos , select and play the added video in the app. When you first enter the offline mode , the app will prompt you to watch offline via wifi which is the default settings , just uncheck it before using , other wise it will ask for wi fi connection.
Conclusion – Actually the video is downloaded in to your device when you add it for watching offline and during the downloading process the data equal to the size of the video is downloaded from the internet to your phone. Hence the conclusion in 1 sentence is youtube had now officially allowed to download videos from youtube from an inbuilt download manager . which we easily do from other apps like – tubemate and via idm on desktop . But still the download is not much profitable for us because the video which is downloaded via youtube offline will not play in other media players and also can not be used after 48 hours. It has also limitation that several videos are not available for offline mode.
For More Information please watch the video tutorial below