So as we all know Google has launched a new YouTube app YouTube Go which is an android app & only designed for India. It is basically designed for users to save data while watching & sharing videos. According to the YouTube blog, people in India love watching videos on YouTube but the slow Internet connection & less powerful mobile are making their experience very bad. Finally, they decide to find out a solution for this & they came up with this brand new YouTube Go (an offline app) which is faster, more relevant & more affordable with new features such as:
- THE PREVIEW FEATURE: In this preview feature it will display the thumbnail from different parts of the video this will give you an idea regarding the content of the video before you play it so that you can easily decide whether you want to watch it or not and showing the size of the video in the preview will let you know that how much data going to be used in that particular video whether you are saving or streaming that video.
- THE OFFLINE FEATURE: you can easily share the video with your dear once offline & this is definitely going to be a fun part but the only condition is the other person should also have the same app on their phone.
- RESOLUTION OPTION FEATURE: Before playing the video you can even choose the resolution when saving & streaming the video and can easily make the choice that how much data you would like to spend on that video.
- BROADER RECOMMENDATION OPTION FEATURE: According to YouTube you will get the recommendation of the videos not only on the basis of your watched history but on what people are watching in your own locality as well.
To know the downloading process of the YouTube Go app (beta version) you can check out my video by clicking on this link CLICK HERE
So these are some amazing features of YouTube Go app. This app was launched at Google event in Delhi, Google CEO, Sundar Pichai said “I had the chance to see the progress of digital India when I met Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi and I outlined our goals of bringing more people online especially in India, have worked hard to make this a reality. Moreover, we learned the issues Indians may have with connectivity and data constraints can be universal” this shows a clear intention from the CEO of Google that they will introduce every corner of India to the internet world.
Having said that with all amazing features from a viewer’s perspective this app has some disadvantages from a creator’s perspective as well such as:
- OFFLINE FEATURE: It’s offline feature can affect the creator’s revenue. It is pretty obvious that if people start saving the videos & watch it offline it will definitely decrease the view count of the videos due to which it will generate very less revenue same thing goes with it’s offline video sharing feature at present people share videos online which makes videos viral which generates revenue for creators so all of this will get affected with this offline feature.
- CHANNEL VIEW, LIKE,COMMENT,SUBSCRIBE AND ANNOTATIONS ARE DISABLED IN THIS APP: In this YouTube Go app viewers cannot open any channel they can only watch their selected videos which is definitely a big drawback for a creator because people want everything very handy & easy and in this competitive world people have many options to explore so it is going to be bit difficult for a creator to take a viewer to their channel & make them watch their other videos which will also affect the subscriber count of a particular channel. There is no like, subscribe, comment & annotation option for viewers on videos in this app which is definitely not good for any channel or a YouTuber.
MY WORDS ON IT
No doubt this is a great step taken by YouTube & Google for Indian viewers and Indian business world and I am quite sure that Indian people are going to enjoy this experience but on the other hand this step will definitely affect the YouTuber’s community as well but how much will it affect and how YouTube will deal with it, is a big question & we have to wait & watch for the answer.