No doubt , youtube & vimeo are one of the best and first choice of every video creator to upload & publishers their videos for earning money . But majority of people well know about youtube , But I had found that lot of people are not aware about vimeo , even some of them know about vimeo they don’t have proper knowledge how to use it , rules and regulations ,how to make money out of it , hence I had diced to create this post in which I had mentioned all the details about vimeo and how it is different from vimeo and also the difference between vimeo and youtube in terms of is use and monetization .
I expect you might be aware well about youtube , but let me tell few important things about vimeo . Vimeo is the 2nd most famous and used video sharing website after youtube , It is mostly popular for its HD videos , Most of the videos on vimeo is high definition . but as far as number of videos available on vimeo is much less than youtube .
Which is Best from Viewer / video watcher point of view youtube or vimeo ?
- Quality of Videos : On vimeo almost all videos uploaded on vimeo are of High Definition (HD) . While on youtube you can also find HD video but majority of video uploaded are of medium / low quality .
- Video Quantity : As we all know that youtube has million & millions of video base in its server , it is also said that a person if start watching videos on youtube continuously , he would not be alble to watch all the videos even in his complete life spam. But Vimeo also has good number of video base in its server but the statics are very less as compared to youtube.
- View / Watch Procedure : People can watch videos on both vimeo as well as on youtube without login & to watch most of the videos you need not to login , but for watching some videos you need to be above 18 year old , hence youtube ask you to confirm your age hece to watch those videos on youtube you need to login , while on vimeo all videos can be watched without login , but for watching some paid video you need to make the payment first .
- Free & Paid Videos : Most of videos are free to watch with ads on youtube except few videos which are available to watch after making payment . You tube had also introduced a paid advertisement free subscription feature for its viewer which will be applicable from 15th june 2015 , As per this ads free subscription viewers need to purchase a subscription from youtube , The rates and details of ads free youtube subscription is not officially published by youtube till now , we hope it will be published by the end of may 2015.
But on Vimeo some videos are free and some are paid in which viewer needs to pay a small fee for each videos separately, This feature is called pay per view on vimeo.
- Advertisement on Video : On vimeo you will not find any pre roll ads which is shown along with video ,however you can found ads on the watch page of the viemo for some videos , because vimeo shows banners ads on the watch page of those videos whose up loader is using free / basic vimeo account . But if you are watching free videos of those vimeo uploaders who are using – vimeo plus or vimeo pro account then no any kind of advertisement is shown on the watch page of video in vimeo .
But on Youtube as of now ads of different type like , skippable video ads , non skipp able video ads , banner ads etc are shown along with the video or either on the watch page of the videos.
- Offer Membership type : You tube offers a membership to its viewer called – YouTube ads free subscription , which will be in effect from 15/ 06/2015 , and it is not compulsory , who ever is willing to watch youtube videos without any advertisement can purchase this subscription , The charges , rates and pricing for youtube ads free subscription will be announced by youtube by the last month of may 2015.
How ever on vimeo viewer needs to pay one time to watch certain videos and it is called – pay per view subscription on vimeo.
Which is Best for Video publisher ,creator & up loader point of view YouTube or vimeo ?
Every Video creator has its dream and desire to earn maximum money from his video , because he put his lot of hard work & effort in creating & editing his video . so a video publishers will always be looking for a platform / source which could let him make maximum money from his video. Hence below I had mentioned all the details and advantages as well as disadvantage which a new video uploader will face on vimeo or youtube .
- Account type free or Paid : Youtube offers completely free account to any publishers to upload videos on youtube as much as he wish , there is no any number of video restriction / video duration restriction / video size restriction .
But Vimeo offers free and paid both type of account to video publishers. But vimeo offers to monetize the videos of only those publishers who had a paid vimeo pro account , They don’t allow publishers in basic & plus plan to make money from their videos. Vimeo offers 3 types of account as of now to publishers i.e – Basic account , Plus account & pro account .
Vimeo Basic Account – In basic account there is no fee , it is free but free publishers are only allowed to upload maximum 500 MB data per week & 25 GB data for 1year. It is free but publisher are not allowed to monetize their videos.
Vimeo Plus Account – In Plus plan the publisher needs to pay $59.95 USD /year or either $9.95 USD each month , with this plan publishers can upload maximum of 5GB data / week & 250GB data for 1year. Publisher are also not allowed to make money in vimeo plus account.
Vimeo Pro Account / Video on Demand – In this plan publishers need to pay an yearly fee of $199 USD/year to vimeo . with this plan publishers can upload maximum of 20GB data/week and 1000 GB Data for 1 year. With this account they are eligible for – Vimeo on Demand program , and allowed to monetize their video by pay per view feature . Remember vimeo don’t allow publishers to monetize their video by advertisement.
- Monetization of Videos : On youtube any one can monetize his video if his video fulfills the terms & conditions of youtube guidelines. Youtube don’t charge any fee to publishers for monetization , But on vimeo basic plan publishers & plus plan publishers are not allowed to monetize their video , only publishers with Vimeo pro account can monetize their videos by participating in vimeo monetization program called – Vimeo on demand .
- Mode of Payment to publishers – Youtube make payment to its publishers via various mode like – International wire transfer , Electronic payment , western union money transfer , etc , but vimeo pays its publishers by Pay pal. While youtube don’t pay via paypal.
- Revenue Share between publisher : On youtube – 55:45 is the revenue share ratio in which publishers get 55% & youtube takes 45% , But on vimeo – 90:10 is the revenue share ratio , in which publishers get 90% and vimeo takes 10% . But note on vimeo revenue is not given to publishers for advertisement , only the revenue is given to publishers which are earned by – pay per view program , in which publishers are allower to fix a rate for his per video view . While on youtube revenue as well as subscription revenue both are shared between publishers and youtube in 55:45 ratio.
What is Vimeo on demand ? Do vimeo monetize video by advertisement or by subscription ?
Vimeo on demand is a monetization program run by vimeo in which only those publishers are allowed to monetize their video who had vimeo pro account , By joining this programe publisher are allowed to sell their video for pay per view program , in which the publisher has to set a fixed rate for watchin a video 1 time on vimeo , and if any viewers pay the revenue is shared between publishers and vimeo in ratio of 90:10 , However no advertisement revenue is given to the publisher.
What kind of videos make good money on vimeo ? how much money can we make on vimeo ?
Vimeo fits best for those publishers who are film maker , Comedians , video promoters , High end Tech videos , since viewers buy those videos which can be found hardly on youtube , which is free , or either those videos whose high definition version is not available on youtube , But it is difficult to sell video and earn money on vimeo for new publishers . but on youtube any publishers can easily make money , because youtube pays for advertisement , hence it does not matter either your video is high definition or of poor quality . also if your videos get viral on youtube , it could make you huge money in very small time . On vimeo its totally depends upon the demand of your video , if its demand is high you can increase the rate and pricing of your video for pay per view . otherwise it is very hard to earn money on vimeo , but on youtube normal videos can also make money , since advertisement is the primary source of revenue.
What type of videos are not allowed on vimeo & youtube ?
On youtube & vimeo both copyrighted videos of some one else is not allowed , videos which contains adult content are not allowed , Controversial videos are not allowed on both the sites.